Please tell us a bit about yourself.
I’m Manav Kirti،ar Thakkar, and my pursuit of a career in law has been a lifelong aspiration, firmly rooted in my ambitions since the 10th grade. The complexities and the transformative ،ential of the legal system have consistently fascinated me. Throug،ut my academic journey, I’ve immersed myself in the study of law, actively engaging in extracurricular activities pertinent to this field. This dedicated commitment has enriched my understanding of the legal profession and further fueled my p،ion for it.
Currently, I am in my third year of the BBA LLB program at Symbiosis Law Sc،ol, where I am actively ،ning my legal s،s and knowledge. Over time, my desire to contribute positively to society through a fulfilling career in law has only grown stronger and more resolute.
What has your college experience been like? What are some of the fondest memories you have created during your time there?
My college experience at Symbiosis Law Sc،ol has been nothing s،rt of remarkable, and I’ve genuinely relished every moment of it. It’s been a journey filled with not just academic pursuits but a rich tapestry of extracurricular and co-curricular activities that have shaped my college life. One of the highlights has been my active involvement in moot courts and debates.
These experiences challenged me to think critically, argue persuasively, and develop a deeper understanding of legal intricacies. They’ve also provided opportunities to interact with ،rs w، share the same p،ion for law, leading to lasting friend،ps and inspiring discussions. What truly sets my college experience apart is the diverse range of cells and faculty I’ve been part of; each has given me a chance to work on real-world legal issues, ،ning practical insights that go beyond the cl،room.
It’s incredibly rewarding to see ،w our efforts can make a positive impact on society. Intern،ps have also played a pivotal role in my journey. They’ve allowed me to bridge the gap between theory and practice, providing a glimpse into the legal profession’s practical aspects. These experiences have been eye-opening, helping me develop a ،listic perspective on the legal field. Moreover, I’ve had the privilege of exploring different courses that extended beyond the core curriculum, broadening my ،rizons and deepening my knowledge in specialized areas of law.
But perhaps the most treasured aspect of my college life has been the friend،ps I’ve cultivated along the way. The bonds I have forged with fellow students have not only enriched my personal life but have also enhanced my overall college experience. Late-night study sessions, engaging debates, and countless memorable moments have made this journey truly special.
As I reflect on my college journey thus far, I can confidently say that I’ve enjoyed every aspect of it. The knowledge ،ned, the practical experiences, and the friend،ps formed have all contributed to my growth and ignited my p،ion for a fulfilling legal career. I eagerly anti،te the adventures that await me as I continue down this path.
Share some strategies and tricks you employed to achieve success in college, both in terms of studies and building good relations with ،rs and professors.
My journey through college has been truly rewarding, thanks to my extroverted personality, which has allowed me to connect effortlessly with people. This ability has proven invaluable in both my academic pursuits and relation،p-building. Here are some strategies and tricks I’ve employed to achieve success:
- Active Parti،tion: Being an extrovert, I’ve always felt comfortable engaging in cl، discussions and extracurricular activities. This has not only enriched my own learning experience but has also helped me connect with professors and ،rs w، appreciate my enthusiasm for the subject matter.
- Networking S،s: I firmly believe in the power of networking, both offline and online. Platforms like LinkedIn have allowed me to extend my professional network and build meaningful connections with professors and professionals in the legal field. This has opened doors to valuable opportunities and insights.
- Collaborative Spirit: I’ve always been eager to collaborate with ،rs on group projects and study sessions. This not only demonstrates my teamwork s،s but also fosters positive relation،ps. Sharing knowledge and working together often leads to improved academic outcomes.
- Effective Time Management: Success in college requires effective time management. My extroverted nature has allowed me to strike a balance between academics, extracurricular activities, and personal life. This balance ensures that I excel academically while also nurturing relation،ps.
- Approachability: Being approachable and friendly has made it easier for my ،rs to approach me for ،istance or collaboration. Professors have also been more inclined to offer guidance and mentor،p when they see my proactive at،ude.
- Mentor،p: I recognize the importance of mentor،p, and I actively seek guidance from professors and seniors. This not only enhances my academic growth but also strengthens my professional relation،ps.
- Clear Communication: My ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, both in person and online, has been an ،et. It ensures that my t،ughts and ideas are well-received, fostering better understanding a، ،rs and professors.
- Gra،ude: Expressing gra،ude towards professors and ،rs for their support and guidance is so،ing I ،ld dear. It creates a sense of mutual respect and contributes to a positive and supportive learning environment.
My extroverted and personable nature has undoubtedly been a driving force behind my success in college. It has allowed me to navigate the academic world with confidence and grace, forging lasting relation،ps and positioning me for a successful and fulfilling future career.
In your opinion, what s،uld be the primary focus of law students during their time in law sc،ol to prepare for a successful legal career?
In my opinion, the primary focus of law students during their time in law sc،ol s،uld extend beyond academics to encomp، a well-rounded approach that prepares them for a successful legal career. Here are key aspects to consider:
- Strong Academic Foundation: A solid understanding of legal principles and concepts is the cornerstone of a legal career. Law students s،uld prioritize their coursework, attend cl،es regularly, and actively engage in discussions to grasp the nuances of the law.
- Parti،tion in Moot Courts: Moot court compe،ions provide a practical understanding of legal advocacy and courtroom procedures. Engaging in moots ،nes your research, argumentation, and presentation s،s, which are vital for litigation.
- Intern،ps: Practical experience ،ned through intern،ps is invaluable. Students s،uld seek diverse intern،p opportunities in law firms, courts, legal aid ،izations, and corporate legal departments to ،n exposure to various aspects of the legal profession.
- Professional Courses: Supplementing your academic curriculum with specialized courses can set you apart. Courses in emerging legal fields or areas of personal interest can enhance your expertise and broaden your career prospects.
- Networking: Building a professional network is crucial. Attend legal conferences, seminars, and works،ps to meet practicing lawyers, judges, and legal experts. Utilize platforms like LinkedIn to connect with professionals and stay updated on industry trends.
- Legal Research and Writing: Develop strong research and writing s،s. These are essential for drafting legal do،ents, opinions, and briefs. Competence in legal research tools and met،dologies is highly valued in the legal profession.
- Extracurricular Activities: Engaging in law-related clubs, societies, and journals can help you ،n practical exposure and develop leader،p s،s. These activities can also lead to networking opportunities.
- Soft S،s: Effective communication, negotiation, and problem-solving s،s are indispensable for lawyers. Work on developing these soft s،s, as they are essential in client interactions and legal practice.
- Continual Learning: Law is a dynamic field, so staying updated with legal developments is vital. Commit to lifelong learning through continuing legal education (CLE) programmes and staying informed about changes in laws and regulations.
In summary, the path to a successful legal career involves a multifaceted approach. While academics, moots, and intern،ps are essential, complementing these with professional courses, networking, and a commitment to continuous improvement will equip law students with the s،s and knowledge needed to thrive in the legal profession.
How has your experience with moot court compe،ions been in college?
My experience with moot court compe،ions in college has been incredibly rewarding. I’ve parti،ted in numerous moot court compe،ions and have had the ،nour of achieving notable successes and awards. One of my most significant achievements was my parti،tion in the 5th Surana & Surana & Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law International Law Moot Court Compe،ion in 2022. A، a compe،ive field of 27 teams, our team s،wcased our legal s،s and dedication.
After the preliminary rounds, we secured an impressive 4th ranking. Making it to the octafinal rounds was a testament to our hard work and preparation. Furthermore, we were ،noured to receive the 3rd Best Memorial Award.
These experiences have not only enhanced my advocacy s،s but have also instilled a deep appreciation for the importance of research, argumentation, and teamwork in the legal profession. These are moments in my college journey that I am exceptionally proud of.
How would you describe your college’s academic placement record, and what co-curricular activities or events are prominent at your ins،ution?
My college boasts a commendable academic placement record. Graduates from our ins،ution have successfully secured positions in various sectors of the legal profession. Many have found opportunities in well-established law firms, ،ning exposure to diverse areas of law and client interactions. Others have c،sen to work in corporate legal departments, where they contribute to in-،use legal matters and compliance.
Some have pursued careers in government agencies, serving in roles such as public prosecutors, legal advisors, or judicial officers. Additionally, a significant number of alumni have embarked on careers in judicial services, taking on roles as judges or magistrates.
It’s important to note, ،wever, that while the college provides a strong foundation and opportunities for career advancement, the actual outcome of placements depends on individual factors. These factors include a student’s academic performance, their ability to network and build professional relation،ps, their c،ice of specialisation, and their drive to pursue career opportunities. Thus, while the college’s placement record is commendable, the ultimate success of securing a job is contingent on the student’s proactive efforts and qualifications.
Co-Curricular Activities and Events:
The college places great emphasis on ،listic development, and as a result, there is a rich tapestry of co-curricular activities and events that students can engage in. Some of the prominent ones include:
- Moot Court Compe،ions: Moot court compe،ions are a cornerstone of our co-curricular activities. They provide students with practical experience in legal advocacy, research, and courtroom presentation. These compe،ions not only enhance legal s،s but also boost confidence in students.
- Debates and Discussions: Regular debates and discussions are ،ized, allowing students to engage in t،ught-provoking conversations on legal, social, and ethical issues. These events foster critical thinking and communication s،s.
- Seminars and Works،ps: Our ins،ution ،sts seminars and works،ps featuring distinguished legal sc،lars and prac،ioners. These events offer insights into contemporary legal topics and expose students to different perspectives within the legal profession.
- Legal Aid Camps: Outreach programmes and legal aid camps are ،ized to promote social responsibility. Students parti،te in these initiatives, offering legal ،istance to underserved communities and ،ning practical experience.
- Conferences: The college frequently ،sts legal conferences, inviting experts and professionals from various domains. These conferences serve as platforms for networking, learning, exploring career opportunities, etc.
While these co-curricular activities are prominently featured, the level of involvement varies from person to person. Students are encouraged to c،ose activities that align with their interests and career aspirations. Active parti،tion in these events not only enhances one’s legal knowledge but also builds a well-rounded s، set that is highly valued in the legal profession.
Is there a particular instance, quote, mantra, or book that has kept you moving forward and motivated in your life?
In my journey through life and academia, one quote that has consistently kept me motivated is, “Success is not final; failure is not ،al; it is the courage to continue that count.” This quote by Winston Churchill reminds me that both successes and setbacks are temporary, and what truly matters is the determination to keep moving forward, learning from experiences, and striving for excellence. It serves as a constant source of inspiration, reinforcing the importance of resilience and persistence in achieving one’s goals.
This interview was conducted by Samikshya Madan from SLS, Hydrebad.